What Should I do to Improve the Value of My Home and Not Spend a Fortune?
This is one of the most frequently asked questions.
When I list a home, I do a walk through of the entire home and we discuss the things that have been done that have an effect on value.
Here are some things that you can do around your home prior to listing that can add value to your home and not break the bank:
- Check exterior paint and touch up where needed
- Check all of the caulking on the exterior of your home
- Check the weather stripping on all doors and windows
- Make sure that the flowerbeds are in a neat, tidy, and well-kept
- Clean all of your windows and doors - this is very easy, cheap and will make a big difference, especially with first impressions
- Make sure that there is no clutter outside - put things away inside the shed or garage
- Make sure that there is nothing growing in your eavestrough
- Make sure that all light bulbs are working - replace any that have blown
- Make sure that your entrance is clear on the inside and well-lit so folks feel at ease when they walk in the front door
- Make sure that all of your counters, taps and sinks are clean and clear - remove the lime and calcium buildup, as well
- Make sure that the caulking on all countertops is in good condition
- Make sure that all doors and drawers operate properly
- If you have the money, replace any old out-of-date light fixtures - this can change the look of a room dramatically
- Make sure that hand railings are secure and safe to use
- Touch up all paint blemishes on walls and trim - do not repaint the entire home unless it is really necessary
- Make sure that all flooring is clean and stain free, especially carpets
- Make sure that all draperies are clean and in good condition, and always leave them open for all showings to allow natural light into your home
- Make sure your home is free of all clutter, and put personal items into storage if you have to - it is not neccessary to stage your home, unless you have the money and patience to live that way
This is just a very partial list of minor cost effective improvements.
When we walk through your home together, we will go over a check list of items to improve the value and in return your home will sell faster and for more money!
Something to remember: Presentation is everything - alot of folks make their decision as soon as they drive in the laneway.
Thank you for reading this blog, I look forward to serving you in the future.
Have a great day!