By 1843 settlers had arrived on the shores of Georgian Bay near what is now Collingwood. A sawmill and a flourmill were both erected by 1846 on the shores of the bay near the east side of the mouth of Pretty River. The area was first known as Hen and Chickens Harbour. In 1854 it was renamed Collingwood after Admiral Lord Cuthbert Collingwood, who was second in command to Admiral Horatio Nelson.
The arrival of the railroad cemented Collingwood’s value as a centre for shipping and shipbuilding. In 1883 the Shipyards opened with a special ceremony. The rail line provided the ability to transport goods, materials, and people easily and efficiently through the Great Lakes. When the Shipyard closed in 1986, it was a huge economic blow to Collingwood, but the town was able to recover quickly.
Click here for some postcards of some of the beautiful original historic sites in Collingwood.
Take a look here at this video of Collingwood’s history and beauty.