Monday, January 30, 2012

FOR YOUR SAFETY, WHAT YOU DON'T SEE OR SMELL

FOR YOUR SAFETY, WHAT YOU DON'T SEE OR SMELL CAN KILL YOU!!!

This is what can kill you. It is so imparative that you have a smoke alarm and a Carbon Monoxide detector.
Today I speak with confidence and experience that this is REALLY IMPORTANT. Not just if you have a gas furnace, stove, dryer or any kind of fuel burning source of heat. You live inside you should have one, and I think most of us do!!!

Today I had a distress call from one of my client's tenants. ( I am a property manager and real estate agent) They own a home and rent out the apartments. The owners do not live in the area. So I am here to help whenever they need me. The home has an apartment in the basement and the rest of the house is rented out separately. The Tenant in the basement called me at 9 am today to say the alarm was going off in the house and she was still sleeping. Needless to say, I told the tenant I would be right over. I get there and the door to the garage was open and the house all closed up. I go talk to the tenant in the basement. The tenant said the alarm had been going for about 30 minutes. I knew right away that it was not the basement apartment. ( instinct) It is an emergency, so I can enter the other apartment. The main floor tenant was not home. I enter the home and the smell just about knocked me over. The air was definitely not right. CO, you can not smell though. All the lights were on and the furnace was off, but the house was really hot. A little dog was very busy barking at me and the cat just looks at me. Good thing. This meant they were still alive. I first check the whole house to make sure no one was sleeping or unconscience. No one was. I check the furnace and the hot water heater. I touch nothing ( be sure not to, not even a light switch, in case of leaking gas, then an explosion could happen). I did turn off the detector. It comes back on in a few minutes. There is no smoke so we call Enbridge. They arrive about an hour later. The technician opens the door, takes a reading and say STAY out of the house. We leave the doors open to air out the house. He is getting a really high ready of CO. He is not sure where the CO is coming from. To make a long story a little shorter, after about two hours of airing out the house and taking more readings, the level final gets down to zero. Now it is safe to go in the home and stay. It is a wonder how the little dog or the cat even lived through this. The levels where so high it would have killed a human. It is a good thing that the tenant in the other apartment called me. We likely saved the animals lives. The tenant in the basement, in this case was not in danger, because the apartment was a legal conforming apartment to todays building code and completely sealed up apart from the rest of the house. After all inspections by the gas technician and my heating contractor they found nothing wrong with the gas lines, furnace, or gas water heater in the house. This is puzzling you may say. However after speaking with the main floor tenant, I learn that they had a car running in the attached garage. As soon as they opened the door into the house, the wind sucked the CO right into the house, like a vacuum and set off the alarms. It filled the entire house including all the duct work.
The moral of this story is two fold.
1. NEVER run your car in your attached garage, and
2. ALWAYS  make sure your smoke and CO alarms are working. Check them at least every six months or more often, is better.

I have one on every floor of my home, plus one in front of all the bedrooms. Plus I have a two fire extinguisher, for different types of fires.

Praise God for the basement tenant calling me today, good thinking.

Thanks for reading this and have a great day!

Also be sure to call me for all your real estate, rentals and property management needs. I am always glad to help out, when I can.
705-733-5821
Joseph Talbot



Carbon monoxide
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Jump to: navigation, search


Carbon monoxide (CO), also called carbonous oxide, is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas that is slightly lighter than air. It can be toxic to humans and animals when encountered in higher concentrations, although it is also produced in normal animal metabolism in low quantities, and is thought to have some normal biological functions. In the atmosphere it is however short lived and spatially variable, since it combines with oxygen to form carbon dioxide and ozone.



No comments: